Outside of the exam room, there's a lot of ways to take care of your eyes in the comfort of your own home or when out and about doing your normal daily activities.
1) Have a healthy and balanced diet. Eat green leafy vegetables that provide nutrients and vitamins that promote eye health.
2) Wear your prescription glasses (clear and sun)
3) UV protection when outdoors
4) Avoid smoking. Smoking tobacco can increase changes for any eye diseases.
5) Use artificial tears frequently throughout the day to prevent and avoid any dryness or irritation.
6) Use eyelid wipes to clean the outside of your eyelids and eyelashes. A sterile eyelid wipe is better than using your hand, tshirt, or tissue.
7) Give your eyes a rest. When doing prolonged periods of reading and computer work, you can strain your eyes. We like the Rule of 20. Every 20 minutes, look 20 feet away, for 20 seconds.
8) Speaking of computer work, make sure to have Blue UV Protection in your glasses!
9) Do monocular vision checks. Cover one eye at a time and look at a single object. This helps to know whether or not you have any vision changes.
10) Know your family history and risk factors.
We recommend annual eye exams but depending on your diagnosis, we may need to monitor you closer than that. If you do not have a scheduled eye exam for the near future, click the button below or give us a call 😁