In order to keep your eyeglasses looking great and functioning properly, you must prevent the lenses from scratching and clean them on a daily basis.
It is important to properly maintain and clean your eyeglasses so that they will serve you for a long time to come. If you are careless with your glasses, they will fail you sooner than you think!
Now, there’s a right way of cleaning your glasses, and a wrong way. We put a list together detailing a few common mistakes that people make when cleaning their glasses, along with the proper way to care for your frames and lenses on a daily basis.
Let’s look at a few Do’s and Don’ts of cleaning your eye glasses.
- Wipe your glasses with your clothing. If you wear glasses, chances are that you have done this. You exhale on to the lens and then wipe it off with your shirt or blouse. You probably even know that it’s wrong, but it may be too hard to resist. While it may be convenient, this is not the right way to clean your lenses. Your clothes contain dust/dirt particles that can scratch and damage your lenses. So, it is best not to use them if you can help it!
- Clean your glasses with everyday cleaners. The fact that your ammonia-based household cleaning spray makes your windows sparkle does not mean that it is ideal for your eye-glasses. Many of the chemicals found in these solutions are harmful to your eyes, and the residue of these cleaners will stay on your frames, and lenses. These chemicals may even wear out the protective coating on the lenses. Avoid using these cleaning solutions on your glasses.
- Set your frames/lenses down unprotected. When you buy glasses, you will receive a protective case to store them. In the even that you don’t receive a case or you have lost yours, you will want to invest in one immediately. Don’t keep your eyeglasses lying around without their case. The risk in leaving your lenses unprotected is that you will expose them to debris that may end up scratching or permanently damaging your lenses. Also, avoid stuffing them into your handbag as they will be easily damaged by doing so.
- Store glasses in a hard-shell protective case. The casing will protect your glasses from dust and airborne debris. If, for some reason, you don’t have a case for your glasses, always be conscious to place them with the lenses in an upward position to prevent them from scratching.
- Regularly clean your glasses. At Punzal Vision we offer a microfiber cloth and lens cleaning solution kit for you to clean your glasses with. This is a quick and easy way to keep your lenses clean throughout the day. Contact us or come by our Hokulei Village location to pick one up! You can also use lukewarm water and dish soap to clean your lenses. In order to do this, first run lukewarm water over your lenses to remove any excess debris. Next, apply a drop of dish washing soap to each lens and use a soft cloth to gently wipe down the lenses. Ensure that each lens is clean and give them a few minutes to dry.
- Always remove glasses from your face using two hands! Removing your glasses using both hands will ensure that they don’t suffer any damage. Using two hands to remove the frames will prevent them from curving or bending. Using one hand may misalign the frames or even cause them to break.
You have invested a lot of time and money into finding the perfect pair of glasses. You chose the right frame, color, and pattern that perfectly fits your style, and waited patiently for the lenses to be fitted.
Now, all you have to do is apply our simple principles of care so that your glasses will continue to serve you through all of the adventures that life has to offer!
So remember: clean your glasses regularly in the correct way, to ensure that you avoid scratching the lenses, keep them stored securely in a protective case, and always use two hands when removing your glasses from your face!
If you have any questions or have a pair of eye glasses that have been damaged, please give us a call or book an appointment to see one of our eye care specialists!
We look forward to SEEing you soon!